Glounthaune United A.F.C., Cork | Youth and Children's Soccer Club

U14 Boys Trip to Carmarthen – Easter 2007

Glounthaune United victorious in Welsh tournament

Irish players have long been demonstrating their skills in UK soccer and the U14 boys from Glounthaune were no exception during their recent trip to Carmarthen in Wales for the annual Carmarthen Town F.C. sponsored Under-14 Academy played at Richmond Park in the town. They met teams from Haverfordwest, Llandovery and Carmarthen and not only returned to Glounthaune with the silverware but with many new Welsh friends.

The opening game was a tough one against Llandovery. After a nervous start a well engineered goal expertly placed by Kieran Crowley helped the Glounthuane side to settle down shortly after which Ali Zaid further built on Glounthaune’s lead by capitalising on some superb teamwork from Glounthaune’s front line. Llandovery failed to score and an impressive early success in the tournament cemented the strong competitive drive in the Cork squad.

Game two against Haverfordwest was a very different game of football. The Welsh side set a different pace and showed clear determination to succeed against the Irish visitors. Glounthaune adjusted well however and an opening goal by Kieran Crowley unsettled the Haverfordwest side after which they never really regained their composure. Stephen Jones despite his Welsh surname demonstrated once again how hungry for victory this Glounthaune team were by sinking a second goal and wrapping up this game in a similar fashion to the first.

The third game against Carmarthen was a carbon copy of the first two in goal-scoring terms. Once again Kieran Crowley demonstrated some of his by-now-expected magic, Christian Davis followed with a second Glounthaune goal and victory was sealed. In the semi-final against Llandovery, Glounthaune’s winning streak continued, while the Welsh side failed to score, goals from Andrew Gannon, Conor Barry & Stephen Jones demonstrated once again that this Cork side was not to be messed with despite having to finish the game with 10 men because of a Kieran Crowley injury.

And so to the final against Haverfordwest. Once bitten twice shy as they say and this Welsh side had monitored Glounthaune carefully in the course of the competition and re-formed impressively to give it all they had. Nathan Glyn of Haverfordwest battled unbelievably in a hard fought game but failed to prevent Glounthaune scoring their first goal late in the first half despite some questionable decisions by the referee. Stephen Jones came to the fore shortly after play resumed to score again for Glounthaune ensuring yet another 2-0 victory for the Cork side when the final whistle blew.

Apart from their victories on the field Glounthaune left with many new friends and a lot of respect! The trip also included a visit to Reading Football Club (now home to ex-Cork City stars Kevin Doyle & Alan Bennett) and a training session in Swindon. The squad returned to Glounthaune tired but victorious and looking forward to further encounters

Back to the News

Advertising Space